Very good game and musics, thank you. I also added that to my New Games On C64 from February 2024 -video too.
A downloadable game
After your last trade of corefakeium crystals went sideways (your business associates decided to rat you out to the authorities to keep the merchandise, money, and the bounty), you are once again trying to escape from the evil galactic empire (is there such a thing as a decent galactic empire?). Luckily, your chances are great; you are only at the core of the main galactic hub space station where all of the empire's fleet is stationed.
Battle your way out through eight stages in a constant race forward – you have not been voted the "Best-looking blockade runner of the interior systems" for the last three years to be caught by the authorities. Collect additional lives and credits (score) on the way out.
Control is with a joystick in port two – just move and fire, no brains required. The space bar will pause the game, and 'Stop' returns you to the main menu.
Various cheats are available that can be activated during gameplay, but using them will prevent you from getting a high score:
- T: Trainer mode grants infinite lives.
- L: Gives you another life.
- R: Restarts the current level.
- S: Skips the current level.
- H: Slows the game to half speed.
The game has been designed for and tested with PAL on various C64 and C64 emulators (e.g. TheC64) your NTSC mileage will vary.
Warning: This game is not designed to be easy or casual, but hard, challenging and at times even frustrating. You will not beat it with skill or reflex alone, you have to learn the levels. If this is not your type of gameplay, just kick in the trainer mode and enjoy the music, it is worth it.
There is no shame in admitting defeat, we are not all born for immortal greatness, but if you are willing to go the extra mile, here are some tips on how to improve your high-score.
- You will not beat this game from the base line, use the full vertical range of the screen
- There are sometimes non obvious ways through obstacles, so look left and right
- Extra lives are spread generously around the stages (and even more in the intermissions). They are usually not on the path where the game leads you, but behind walls or in alcoves to the side. Some are very hard to reach and are more bait than bonus.
- You can control the direction of your shots with your horizontal ship movement. This way you can destroy wall targets.
- All obstacles are 100% predictable, so you can know them in advance and be in the right place at the right time.
- Overcoming larger obstacles is mainly limited by your horizontal speed, so make sure you keep moving in the right direction all the time, or there will not be enough time.
- The half speed cheat is the most beneficial for training the tricky spots
- The background is the main enemy, the other ships are just the icing.
- The first two stages can be mastered without losing a single ship. The first play through (stage 1 to 4) have been accomplished without cheating. From stage 5 on …
Click download now to get access to the following files:
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Very nice and technically perfect, but hard game, as promised. Our German-language review can be found in our recorded livestream starting at 01:21:04. Subscription to our YouTube or Twitch channel is welcome. 🙂
Absolutely brilliant, what a great game. I’m really enjoying it. The feel is just right, it’s difficult but definitely fair, I never die and feel cheated. I don’t know how long you’ve been programming but you’re bloody good! Now let’s have a proper version of Flying Shark!
This is an awesome and challenging game. Good controls, music and gfx, but the lack of SFX is a bummer. Need to make the PEW-PEW-PEW in your brain XD
What a great looking game, with superb music and excellent graphics. As a bonus, Corescape is not a multiload. I think it is really awesome on my Ultimate 64. Also I really think it is one of your best creations since Plekthora. Well done. Let's see some more cool blasters :)
gameplay is borderline unfair. would be a lot better if it had standard difficulty settings (easy/normal/hard) to chose from.
blocking elements that blow up your ship that can't be avoided is so 80's (in a bad way).
5.5/10 (hard > fun). zeta wing this is not.
Very good shooter. Another super nice production from you. Thanks a lot for your C64 work!
Great fun this one, thank you!
Awesome. Thanks! :)
Thanks for writing C64 games. I love them. This is a most excellent shooter!
Great game !
Nice little shooter thank you for your time to make this game!!